Saturday, March 18, 2017

Ripped Pants are Universally Hilarious

It's been a great trip so far! I've done and seen a lot.  We spent most of day one touring Cot and the local farming industry, then we wrapped up the day playing sports with the local kids.  Unfortunately, I forgot my sunscreen while hiking yesterday and woke up this morning, quite literally, feeling that mistake.  Luckily, we spent most of the day today with the local students inside away from the sun.

I was grouped with Kayla and Maci, and we started off the day helping the students in an English class.  Overall the students did well, considering the fact they were on page one of the textbook, but there were students who struggled with the language.  They wanted to impress the American guy and became obviously embarrassed when they were not speaking as well as they thought they should be, a feeling I know all to well from my own difficulty learning Spanish.



My favorite part of the trip so far has been playing sports with the students.  Turns out that learning to play volleyball last fall has proven to be a great way to connect with the students.  I have spent numerous hours playing volleyball with them.  Today I was hitting around the ball with six students, and we were trying to get 30 hits (which is much more difficult on a windy mountainside basketball court than it is inside a gym).  We had reached 28 and were giving it another try.  The round started out as a mess with some kicks and close calls, but we managed to get the thing under control until we reached around 17, at which point the ball began to fly out of bounds.  I stepped out as far as I could to reach the ball which is when I simultaneously missed the ball and tore a large hole in my pants.  I felt slightly embarrassed but we all died laughing.  Moral of the story, jeans aren't a good choice for volleyball attire and ripped pants are universally hilarious.

It's hard to believe we are already three days into our trip!  I cannot wait to see what the next six days have to offer!  Tomorrow we head off to Guarari to fellowship with the children there.

Please pray for a safe, productive trip.

- Noah Burress

No comments:

Post a Comment